this person knows what i'm talking about

all the haters said we couldn't do it, but we did. and we did it our way. a note on the name of the blog: names serve multiple purposes. it can be a name, but it can also be more than a name.

Tuesday, April 18, 2006

badminton got me an 'A'

Ever since I was badminton champion of my high school (fine, of my jr. year Fit For Life class), I've become a connossieur of the sport (when I say connossieur, I mean I just looked up a bunch of stuff about 10 minutes ago). Badminton is one of the greater sports because it's origins date back at least 2000 years. What other sport has ancestors with names like "Battledore" and my personal favorite "Shuttlecock"?

When first researching the sport, I came to the conclusion that Badminton must be a game at which women are more competent. From 1949 to 1967 the US won 23 World Individual Championships--12 of those being women's singles and 8 women's doubles. But with further reading, I became aware that it wasn't a women's sport at all--it's an Asian's sport. In 1992 when Badminton made it's full-medal debut at the Barcelona Olympics, all of the top honors went to Asian countries. This may explain how I became Badminton Champion of my Junior year Fit For Life class (my partner was Phillipino). Either way, I got an A. Here are a few other things I learned about Badminton:

1. Badminton became more popular in the 1930s when several Hollywood personalities including James Cagney, Bette Davis, Boris Karloff, Dick Powell, Ginger Rogers, Joan Crawford, and Douglas Fairbanks became avid players (Boris Karloff somehow makes the sport totally legit for me).

Tangent--Reasons I like Boris Karloff:
  1. He was Frankenstein
  2. He's pretty much something creepy in everything he's done
  3. He was in a movie called "The Ghost in the Invisible Bikini"
2. The only place listed to play Badminton in Utah is at the University of Utah.
3. Raju Rai has been athlete of the year for three years running. Hopefully he/she can make it four.

7 Comments:

  • At 2:30 PM, Blogger English said…

    I don't know who you are, but the fact that you know "The Ghost In The Invisible Bikini" (starring the Shaggy Dog himself) makes you ok in my book.

    Let's call our biker friends and have a hip swingin' pool party to celebrate. Sundry monsters welcome.

    "Boris" makes an appearence here you might like.

     
  • At 6:05 PM, Blogger becky said…

    4. he was also the narrator/grinch's voice for How The Grinch Stole Christmas, which is only like the coolest christmas movie ever.

     
  • At 8:52 PM, Blogger becky said…

    1. please, don't even try to compare charlie brown's christmas with the Grinch (if you wanted to argue charlie brown's halloween special with the great pumpkin the best holiday movie ever, i might concede).
    2. yes, yes i do want to be in the movie.
    3. if we lived in the same state, we could start a club. i guess we still could.

     
  • At 12:28 PM, Blogger becky said…

    Okay, I will agree that A Charlie Brown Christmas is a great movie. I like it because lucy talks about how christmas is a bunch of commercial crap, and then the show quotes a line from the bible to show what the true meaning of christmas is (which is probably one of the only times an animated christmas special did that).

    but despite that, dr. suess is like the greatest children's writer ever. how can you call the grinch a snooz fest? do you not remember the intense scene when the sleigh is slowly tipping over the edge of the cliff/mountain? plus, the movie is totally a story of redemption. and it has a reighdeer dog.

     
  • At 9:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Super color scheme, I like it! Keep up the good work. Thanks for sharing this wonderful site with us.
    »

     
  • At 2:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Super color scheme, I like it! Good job. Go on.
    »

     
  • At 3:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm impressed with your site, very nice graphics!
    »

     

Post a Comment

<< Home